Saturday, July 28, 2007

Wrong Question!

Today we ate breakfast (late) at a small, cozy, homegrown/hometown restaurant called The Pancake Station. Excellent food, with that homey treatment and feel. As we were seated, a young man met us at our table and handed us our menus. When he asked what we'd like to drink, I asked him what kind of soft drinks they had. He looked at me quite puzzled and said, "What???" What a dope! I'm in the Texas panhandle now, for Pete's sake. Once the realization of what I said hit me, I promptly re-phrased my question. "What kind of Cokes do you have?" This time, a list immediately rolled off his tongue. "Coke, Dr. Pepper, Sprite, Mt. Dew,....." You see, here in Texas all "soft drinks" are referred to as "Cokes". I knew that, but why "soft drinks" came out of my mouth, I'll never know! I guess I still have a little bit of assimilating to do.

No comments: