Sunday, April 22, 2007

Geocaching

I've had my Magellan handheld GPS for a while now, but never really used it much. I'll take it with me when we go photo-op hunting, or on weekend trips, but that hasn't happened for a while. Too much going on.

Yesterday, I went with Shelley's brother (calls himself "Cash-n-Dash") on a geocache hunt. It's a growing phenomena that's kind of like a treasure hunt, but using a GPS unit to pinpoint its location. Not as easy as it sounds. Once you get to the location, you still have to find it. It could be as big as an ammo box, or as small as a quarter - camouflaged or otherwise hidden. There may be little things in it that you can "take one - leave one", log your name on a list, or any combination thereof. There are even caches that travel around the country/world.

After printing out the coordinates of where about half a dozen caches were, we headed out. I had to learn how to set up my unit, but I managed to find a couple of caches before he did. Some of them were really tough to find. I have since reconfigured my GPS's displays to give me more useful information and make hunting easier and quicker. Might try it out later today to see if it worked. :)

Might be able to mix geocaching with photography, too!

No comments: