Sunday, April 13, 2008

Planting Time

In recent days, I cut the sod off a 12' x 12' section of out yard (by hand) and tilled it up. Yesterday we bought some seed to begin planting and growing some fresh vegetables. We got some squash, carrots, and lettuce. Oh yeah, we got some rhubarb, too. I haven't had any good rhubarb since I was a kid. I hope we'll have lots of it next year (2009). I wish we could this year, but they have to mature for at least a year before you can start harvesting. The rhubarb I've had in my past life out East was always in a pie, and always tainted with strawberries. I like strawberries too, but not with rhubarb. Rhubarb pies and crisps are best with only rhubarb. As a matter of fact, let me pick a ripe, red stalk, and I'll eat it on the spot! Yummy! I think I might have some competition with it, though. Shelley likes 'em, too! We'll have to be sure we have enough for pies and crisps. I can hardly wait!

Nature's Candy

Anyhow, I planted one row of rhubarb (6 plants), two rows of lettuce (seed tape), and two rows of carrots (seed tape). I planted the shorter plants in the front and worked my way back, except the rhubarb. I put them in the back so that if we didn't plant anything in one year, we wouldn't have rhubarb stalks to mow around in the middle of the yard. I still have room for the squash and hopefully some tomatoes - the small, cherry-type tomatoes. They have several varieties, and I'm not sure which ones we'll get.

It's gonna be a good year! I can hardly wait for them to mature.

.

No comments: