Sunday, March 15, 2009

Red-Tailed Hawk

Since I began getting serious about my photography, I've made goals for myself. One of them was/is to get good shots of various raptors in the wild. One particularly I want to get is the Red-Tailed Hawk. I've always had a fascination for raptors, and a strong desire to photograph them. I don't know why - maybe because they are such a challenge. They are beautiful, proud, and graceful birds. The Bald Eagle is one of them.

Until now, I've only been able to get good shots of raptors while on their handler's gloved hand. Today I was lucky enough (when Shelley and I were out looking for photo-ops) to complete a step of my goal. She spotted two hawks having an aerial pissin' match. We stopped in hopes of getting some shots. When we did, one of the hawks went after a jack rabbit, heading straight for us. I had my camera on him when he went into a dive and went for the kill. At that time, my camera lost its focus lock. (Murphy struck again! GRRRRRR!) I missed the attempt. The rabbit got away. When the hawk broke off the attack, he was pretty close to us, and took a sharp left (to our right) crossing in front of us. By then I had regained my focus lock and was shooting again. Below are a couple of the shots I got. I am satisfied with these two, but my thirst for capturing raptors on "film" is not satisfied. It may never be.


1 comment:

Jeanie said...

Dale, this is simply striking. Thanks for inviting me to your blog -- I'm so impressed by your beautiful work -- the wonderful cat-boy, that kestrel -- now THAT's a find! And the sparrow is amazing. That's some lens you have! Congratulations, too, on your paying job! When I see work like this I'm not surprised.

I've told Shelley before, but I'll tell you how happy I am that you share this joyful passion for photography!