Wednesday, August 08, 2007

It's Down

The tree branch in the previous post is down now. When I got home from work, I got out my pole pruner and starting cutting the branches away from the main branch. Carefully, I removed the ones that were not load-bearing. Didn't want to disturb its position until I was ready. After clearing away the obstructing branches, I had one left - the one that was supporting it on the ground. The end up in the tree was wedged in the crotch of a couple other branches. I carefully assessed where I should make a partial cut, how deep to cut it, and how far off the ground. I wanted to shift the position of the main branch, and at the same time free it up so it could be taken down without interference. The partial cut was so I could move the branch when I wanted it to move. It all worked out as I had planned, and didn't take out any of the lines going to the house in the process - phone, cable, or power. Now, I had to find a way to get it dislodged and get it on the ground - without tearing up anything or anybody. With my plan in mind, I enlisted the help of a neighbor friend, and we proceeded to put the plan in action. It went pretty much as I had wanted, except for one little bitty thing. When it came down out of the tree, it rocked up and blind-sided me, throwing me five or six feet from where I started. I know I scared the hell out of a couple people, but it's cool. I only got a bit of an abrasion on my side - the size of a cantaloupe.

I'm fine, but it probably would have made a good one for America's Funniest Videos.

No comments: