Sunday, December 23, 2007

Kringla Goof?

I mixed up another batch of kringla dough today - for baking tomorrow for our Christmas get-together. I might have screwed up a bit, but we'll have to see. The recipe calls for buttermilk, and without thinking (hey, I'm a guy) I grabbed the 2% milk instead. I didn't realize it until it was too late. The dough was already mixed and in the fridge. Buttermilk is only 1%, so maybe it won't make much of a difference. I hope it will be ok. If they turn out better by some miracle, I'll take note of it and change the recipe. *G*

o0O0o

(Update: Monday, 24 December)

I just finished making that batch of kringla, and this is the result:

The dough was lacking "body", and was much like thick mud in consistency. It was much stickier than when using buttermilk, and was much more difficult to roll out. At one point, I got a phone call right as I finished rolling one out, and after only one or two minutes, it had flattened itself on the waxed paper. You can imagine. Maybe if I had to use 2% again, I might try using less of it. I don't intend to substitute like that again if I can help it. One mistake like that will stick in your head for a while, I'm sure. :)

The final product looked the same as if I'd done it right. Tasted the same, too. So, if I don't tell anybody what I did, they won't know. *G*

2 comments:

Shelley said...

I like a man who cooks..even bakes. Are you available? LOL

Jeanne said...

Blessings
Merry Christmas cheer all through the year.
Love Jeanne