Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Number Of Servings?

Last week, I got a small bag of cookies and chomped on 'em during one of my breaks. It was a bag of Grandma's Mini Bites - the sandwich cookies. I noticed on the noutrition information, that there were supposedly 3 servings of "about 9" cookies per serving in that little bag. Say whaaaaaaat? I've never heard of anybody getting a bag of them and not polishing them off. Looks like one serving to me! Where do they get this theoretical serving size?

I also realized that a normal coke serving size is 8 ounces. In a 16-oz. bottle, that's 2 servings. Not hardly. That's only one serving, I don't care what they say. In a world where people casually finish off a 32oz (or larger) fountain drink, that's just crazy. The nutrition information should be more practical in its application. Since there isn't much chance of them changing it, I might as well just start multiplying.

1 comment:

Shelley said...

When I was in Weight Watchers, they had a meeting all on serving sizes. It was amazing what we take for granted as a serving. And they base theirs on the USDA recommended size like all packaging is. A serving of meat is the size of a credit card. We eat way too much. Good post.