Sunday, September 10, 2006

Tolerance and Hypocrisy

(This entry is a rant. I don't want to come off as cold and unfeeling, because I am not. I love my Country and would gladly sacrifice much for its citizens' protection and preservation. I served my country in the 'Nam era so that people can get under my skin. Please bear with me.)

Something really gets under my skin, and did tonight. Someone who preaches tolerance and freedom of speech is showing signs of not practicing those ideals. It is very common with a certain mindset, and it really pisses me off at times.

I started using this sig image in my forum posts, that shows the second airliner right before it hit the second WTC tower. They took offense to it, calling it "disturbing". That's kind of a no-brainer. Yes it is disturbing, but my intent was not to send anybody into a psychological tailspin. It was but to honor the memory of those who have fallen, and to remind us of the reason we are at war with terrorists who would exterminate us. Unfortunately, there are those who see that scene, and all they remember is "Bush did it" or "this, for oil", and not that we were attacked by Muslim extremists in much the same way that Pearl Harbour was attacked 65 years ago. If they are so mentally fragile, professional help is out there for them.

Where does the tolerance come in? Well, the people who scream it the loudest have no tolerance for anybody who has opposing viewpoints and opinions. They have no tolerance for anybody who holds those differing viewpoints. They would stifle one's Freedom of Speech because it "offends" them. It matters not that their behaviour offends me. Of course, I don't mention it.

I practice the tolerance that they preach. I also believe in Freedom of Speech, and afford others the same right. It saddens me that so many will not do so. I tolerate offensive sigs they post. I tolerate their freedom of speech, even when I find it offensive. They prefer to deny my freedom of speech and expression. They whine when something I say offends them, yet they don't think a thing about offending me.

Some say that the "barrage" of 9/11 coverage this time of year only strengthens the enemy. I would agree, IF those viewing it reinforce their anti-war on terrorism beliefs - or it creates them. I would agree, IF it makes them more anti-Bush. I would agree, IF it makes them want our troops back too soon. If it gives us new unity in the endeavour, it strenghtens us. It is up to the viewer which one it strenghtens.

May those who have fallen rest in peace - except the hijackers and terrorists around the world. May they rot in hell!

May we never forget that we forgot history once (Pearl), and it was repeated (WTC). It must not happen again. Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.

1 comment:

Dale said...

You are right. If we do not continue on and win the war, it will not only be Republicans that will die. Democrats, Christians, good Muslims, etc., will die with us. That's what the "anti's" must realize. They are not immune. I would love to see the unity that followed December 7, 1941 again.