Thursday, June 26, 2008

Junk Mail Pushers

I must be a bit intolerant today.

When I got home for lunch, I had some more junk mail waiting for me: Another "last chance" extended warranty offer for the '05 Taurus we just bought. I've been calling and asking to be taken off mailing lists of these warranty companies. I've been getting a lot of 'em. One last week was very obliging and did so without question. Today I tried again with another company. This time it didn't work. I was very clear that I didn't want their warranty, as I never do buy into them. They don't benefit me. (I told him that from the onset.) Besides, chances are the service facility wouldn't honor it anyhow. That's pretty common with these warranties. Anyhow, this dude I talked to wasn't going to let me get off the list. He kept trying to convince me how much I needed to have it. He even went so far as to lie to me by saying that most people ask to be on their junk mail list! I have a hard time believing that. It makes no sense at all. ("Please, PLEASE send me your junk mail!") When he asked me if I've ever broken down after my manufacturer's warranty ran out, I demanded to speak to his supervisor. Wouldn't you know it? That's when he got my customer ID number from me and took me off the list. Funny how that changed his mind.

Must be my run-in with APX's salesman (below), and all I've found out about them since. Why can't they take "no" for an answer? Yes, I did get rather short with him and even raised my voice a bit - just in case he didn't hear me.

I'm the kind who will go shopping for what I want. I have a strong distaste for someone coming to me or contacting me, telling me how much I need what he has to sell me. For me, that's enough of a reason to NOT want what he's offering - especially if it's "now or never". If it is, then he will get an immediate reply of "Never!"

.

No comments: