Monday, June 23, 2008

Suspicious Person

At about 8:20pm this evening (6/23/08), a young man was going door-to-door selling alarm systems. His T-shirt said APX/Honeywell on his left side chest. I asked for his business card, and he said he didn't have one - that they wouldn't give him any. (yeah, right!) He was on foot and had no company vehicle that I saw. He was very nosy about the security system I have in the house, but I gave him no specifics and told him that we were already all set.

I called the local PD asking them to check on this guy, and they made some passes through the area trying to find him. They didn't.

APX/Honeywell's main office is in Berkley, CA, but I found a similarly-named company named "Apex Alarm LLC" of Orem, UT.

After this clown left, I called the company [that they appeared to be] and asked for a local office here to find out if they have anybody going door-to-door. He said there is no office here, and went on to emphatically say that they NEVER go door-to-door soliciting business. He said they thought there was a "ring" out of Provo, Utah that was doing this.

After finding this out, I called the PD again. This time, an officer came to the house and took all the information I had. He also spoke to the neighbors who also talked to this guy. When one neighbor told him she worked for law enforcement, he was taken aback. When he left her house, he seemed to forget about his mission and walked around the corner.

This guy just didn't add up. I don't know if he's a scam artist, or if he was casing the neighborhood, or what. I kept the neighbors around us informed on what was going on so they can keep an eye out, too. Beware! This happens everywhere.

*** UPDATE! ***

.

No comments: