Saturday, July 29, 2006

Reconnection Begins

I spoke with my Dad yesterday evening - for the first time in months. It must have been longer than I realized. He sounded so "old". His voice has softened and come to have an almost slurred quality. You know how words kinda tend to run together in older people. He was always kind of a soft-spoken man, but his diction used to be much crisper it seems. Or, so I remember. We had a chat of over 45 minutes, "just talking". Small talk, and a little bit of more serious stuff. It became clear that a bit of demensia had set in, as was confirmed by my sister in Emails.

I have come to realize that I've been emotionally and communicatively(?) displaced from my family for far too long. I should never have allowed myself to be that way. But, alas, that is in the past. I can do nothing about that. I can only mend it in the future. That future has already begun.

3 comments:

Shelley said...

Time marches on way too quickly. Suddenly we wonder where all the years went. Look back only to reminisce about the good times but live for today and plan good things for the future. You seem to have the right idea.

Jeanne said...

It all begins and ends with family.
Never forget how special they are and thank you Shelley for the link to this blog of our friend.
Blessings to you both!
Jeanne

Go forward in the direction of your dreams!

Dale said...

Thank you both. I am finally living the way I want to, and know I should.

Jeanne, I also have links to your blog in my sidebar. :) Have a great day, and may God bless you always!